The Great Depression caused many hardships and people at the time were forced to discover creative ways to use food efficiently, resulting in some surprisingly delicious dishes. Here is one such recipe that’s been modernized:
After Church Casserole
- 1 1 /2 pounds hamburger
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 /2 pounds spaghetti, cooked 10 minutes and drained
- 2 cups fresh peas
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 pound your favorite cheese
- Brown hamburger and onions.
- Drain off grease.
- Add tomato juice and simmer 20 minutes.
- Put cooked spaghetti around the edge of your pan and put the peas in the center.
- Simmer another 15 minutes.
- Cover with cheese and simmer until cheese is completely melted.